Peanut Butter and Purple Onions

Sounds crazy until you try it.

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Satellite Dish of Love

Steaming has always seemed oddly exotic to me. Maybe because my strongest associations of using steam to cook are the times our father’s College Roommate visited, the double boiler appeared from the back of the cupboard, and they made their own pastrami sandwiches. He was a odd yet fascinating guy, and he did perhaps the greatest cannonballs ever, but that list we’ve started of things not to ask BNA? Yeah, don’t mention the Cool-i-coo Incident. Let’s just agree not to get between my sister and her ice cream sandwiches, ok?

But I digress.

Steaming. Hadn’t really seen it done, didn’t know how to do it. Then there was the mysterious vapor aspect. So imagine my delight when it turned out to be (of course) totally easy.

So now I’m entranced with my shiny, new, collapsible steamer dish. I’ve made some pretty nifty cabbage rolls that we’ll discuss when I’ve tweaked them a bit more, but of late I’ve been focusing on wontons. Little packages of steamy goodness.

Pork Wontons

Adapted from Alton Brown and another recipe I cannot for the life of me remember

1 lb ground pork
½ c. scallions, chopped finely
Grated ginger … I start with about a teaspoon and go by smell
1 TBS minced garlic
1 egg, beaten
1 TBS oyster sauce
Lrg. squirt of ketchup (optional)
Sm. squirt of yellow mustard (also optional . . .always smells better to me with it)
1 TBS sesame oil (BNA inquired toasted or not . . .dunno, and the bottle is AWOL. . . .so, your choice)
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, then usually more
Salt and pepper

1 pkg. (16 oz) wonton wrappers

Mix the ingredients in a bowl; I’ve decided putting on a pair of rubber gloves and squishing it together makes for great mixing, and great clean up. Once it’s all mixed and smells spicy and gingery enough for you, start spooning a teaspoon or a little less of the mixture onto a flat wonton wrapper. Brush the edges with a bit of water, and fold them on up. After trying several different sealing techniques, I’ve settled on pinching the wrappers into “necks”; seems quickest and least prone to structural failure.

(Yes. Our father is an engineer. How did you know?)

A couple of inches of water in a pot, the wontons arrayed around the steamer dish, and 8-10 minutes later, they’re ready for dipping in Sriracha or soy sauce. Makes at least 35 . . .I’ve gotten 50 out of the recipe when the stars have properly aligned.

7 Comments:

  • At 4:12 AM, Anonymous Ellie said…

    I'm quite a dumpling fan, and the inclusion of ketchup and mustard sounds interesting - will have to give this a shot next time I've got some dumpling skins!

     
  • At 4:37 AM, Blogger Lis said…

    I tried AB's wontons as well, only I fried mine.. they were delish! Recently I made potstickers that were first browned and then braised (I guess is the closest term describing how they were cooked in a small amount of chicken stock in a covered pot). They were to die for. Next I shall steam because those look delightful!
    Did you use a dipping sauce or did you eat them sans sauce?

    I look forward to hearing about those cabbage rolls! :D

     
  • At 12:52 PM, Blogger BNA said…

    That Cool-i-Coo was MINE! History will vindicate me!

    Nice dumplings.

     
  • At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Dimples said…

    One dumpling to rule them all...

     
  • At 12:22 AM, Blogger Devorit said…

    ellie -- the first time I felt a little like I was making meatloaf *g* but I like the balance it gives the dumplings :)

    lis -- I do enjoy AB's recipes (have you tried his gyros?!? Yum!), but when I first made these, I wanted to try the steaming, so I combined his recipe with the other random one. Glad to hear the chicken stock/frying works well -- I'll have to try it. I've tried several sauces, nothing that I'm totally happy with, but the Srichata chile sauce does make a zingy dip. What did you use?

    BNA -- history will, no doubt, come out on your side. You know, I've tried finding them on line, with disappointing results :(

    . . .and in the kitchen bind them, dimples, and in the kitchen bind them.

     
  • At 2:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I use the more traditional bamboo steamer--the one with tiers. That way, you can steam an entire meal--fish, veggies, and even potatoes (for my Irish husband)! I looooove wontons and yours look absolutely scrumptious. Keep up the fab blog!

     
  • At 10:56 AM, Blogger PatL said…

    oh, you beat me to it, i was thinking of blogging my potstickers. now i'll cool my heels for a bit, although my recipe is a tad different.

    for dipping sauce: i love a blend of soy sauce, balsamic v (yep!), ginger slices, and water. yum! i'll put the exact recipe up when i blog the potstickers, some time hence.

    you might want to enter this into the Weekend Cookbook Challenge event (due Sep 5)"a foreign dish"! Link to WCC is in the sidebar on my blog if you're interested ...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home