Peanut Butter and Purple Onions

Sounds crazy until you try it.

Thursday, July 20, 2006

The Savory Side of Blueberries

So you've got a glut of blueberries -- lucky you! You could make a pie, or a buckle, or muffins. You could make Kitchenmage's blueberry habanero chutney (indeed, you should). Or, you can make this:



I may never go back to regular barbeque sauce again. This stuff is awesome on sandwiches, grilled veggies, bruschetta...would you look askance if I admitted I was thinking about how it would be on vanilla ice cream?

Blueberry Chipotle Barbeque Sauce
Adapted from Cooking Light: Fresh and Easy

Makes about 1 1/2 cups.

2 c. fresh blueberries
1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
3 T. sugar
3 T. ketchup or adobo sauce from chipotle chiles
1-2 chipotle chiles
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. salt

Put everything into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about fifteen minutes, until it's slightly thick. Remove from heat and cool.

Puree the mixture in a blender until smooth. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Notes:
* I haven't tried it with both the chiles and the adobo sauce instead of the ketchup -- I imagine it would be quite spicy.
* I'm wondering how this would work with other berries...raspberries? Cherries?

12 Comments:

  • At 1:56 AM, Anonymous Pamela said…

    I remember seeing rasberry chipotle sauce on a site somewhere. What would you eat this with?

     
  • At 8:40 AM, Blogger doodles said…

    this looks amazing and I immediately tagged your site. Thanks!
    This sauce has endless uses and I midht get rid of the seeds in the rasberries first.

     
  • At 9:46 AM, Blogger BNA said…

    Hi Pamela -- I feel like I've seen raspberry chipotle sauce in the grocery store, too. I eat this blueberry version on gardenburgers or anywhere you might use barbeque sauce. It'd be great with roast chicken, too.

    Hi Doodles! Thanks for the tag. Good idea about the raspberry seeds.

     
  • At 10:35 PM, Blogger darlamay said…

    ooo I'm intriqued

     
  • At 3:04 AM, Anonymous Ellie said…

    Unfortunately I'm not lucky enough to ever have a glut of berries :( But perhaps a few punnets are worth buying for a try of something this good!

     
  • At 7:13 AM, Blogger Lis said…

    This sounds fabulous.. I'm thinking this paired with a pork tenderloin.. yowza. Thanks so much for sharing!

     
  • At 8:45 AM, Blogger BNA said…

    I think you'd like it, Darla...

    Aww, Ellie, no glut? I can send a few baskets your way...

    Brilliant, Lis -- I think it would work really well with that.

     
  • At 12:40 AM, Blogger Acme Instant Food said…

    Got a spoon?

    I wish I hadn't eaten so that I could go make that right now.

     
  • At 1:28 AM, Blogger Catherine said…

    OK...I'm gonna have to try this! Thanks for the recipe!

     
  • At 1:32 AM, Anonymous Rorie said…

    Very intriguing indeed. I'd love to try this!

     
  • At 3:58 PM, Blogger kickpleat said…

    oh wow, this looks amazing! i'll definitely try it out.

     
  • At 8:31 PM, Blogger kitchenmage said…

    In addition to the dozen or so pounds we've picked slowly, we picked NINE pounds in half an hour last night and there's easily that much left on the bushes! There are two full sheet pans of berries freezing right now. Color me (blue) happy!

    Must try the bbq sauce recipe here, looks yummy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home