Peanut Butter and Purple Onions

Sounds crazy until you try it.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Blueberry Buckle



...sounds like Strawberry Shortcake's cousin from Maine, doesn't it? As I recall, Strawberry's friend was actually called Blueberry Muffin -- and she had a blue rubber hat with a scalloped edge secured to her head with those little plastic ties, which Devorit refused to allow to be snipped off lest we (I) lose the hat -- but I prefer to think that Blueberry Buckle would have been a friendlier kind of person.

A buckle is sort of like a pan-sized muffin -- a layer of cake, a layer of fruit, and a struesel topping. Blueberries work best, in my opinion, since they keep their shape atop the cake.

This is a forgiving recipe, easy to mix together on a Sunday morning and nibble on all day long.



Blueberry Buckle
Adapted from Better Homese & Gardens New Baking Book


2 c. all-purpose flour, preferably King Arthur
2.5 tsp. baking powder
0.25 tsp. salt
0.5 c. shortening, preferably a non-trans fat brand
0.75 c. sugar
1 egg
0.5 c. milk (I use skim)
2 c. frozen blueberries, preferably Wyman's or other wild blueberries

Streusel:
0.5 c. all-purpose flour, preferably King Arthur
0.5 c. sugar
0.75 tsp. cinnamon
0.25 butter, softened

Heat oven to 350.

Grease an 8x8 pan. Take 2 c. of the flour and combine it with the baking powder and the salt. Mix with a whisk, for fun and lightness.

Using an electric mixer, beat the shortening for thirty seconds on medium speed to loosen it up and aerate it a little. Add 0.75 c. sugar and beat on medium-high spead until fluffy. Add the egg and beat well. Add the flour mixture and the milk in alternating portions, incorporating well. Spoon the batter into the pan; it will be a fairly stiff batter.

Cover the batter with a blanket of berries. Combine the streusel flour, sugar, and cinnamon, then rub in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over the berries.

Bake 50-60 minutes or until golden and gorgeous. Best warm.

Notes:
* This is a forgiving recipe. I accidentally added a half-cup too much flour and it worked fine. I also substituted butter for half the shortening and, again, just fine.
* I like to add 0.25 tsp. of Penzeys baking spice to the dry flour mixture to bring a little more spice into the cake itself.

7 Comments:

  • At 10:55 PM, Blogger Rachel said…

    This looks really good!

     
  • At 11:12 PM, Blogger PatL said…

    Yours looks much nicer than mine! I have heard that it's called "buckle" because the cake sags beneath the weight of the blueberries, and I've certainly found that to be the case with mine. Wonder what the difference is? Hmmm, I'll have to compare recipes ...

     
  • At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Ivonne said…

    Gorgeous! I can't wait for those fresh blueberries to come so I can try this ...

     
  • At 11:36 PM, Anonymous Ellie said…

    Oh YUM! Seeing as frozen berries are the only ones available at the moment, this could be the dessert for the weekend!

     
  • At 10:08 AM, Blogger BNA said…

    Hi Rachel! Good and easy...my favorite combination.

    Heya Pat -- that is a great reason for the name. I believe it -- the middle always sinks a little.

    Hola Ivonne! I've only made it with the frozen ones, so let me know how it works with fresh.

    Hi Ellie -- it's a perfect weekend dessert! A little for breakfast, a little for afternoon tea, a little for a post-dinner morsel...

     
  • At 6:55 PM, Anonymous vanessa said…

    I really shouldn't be looking at this being so hungry and stuck at work : \

     
  • At 9:20 AM, Blogger BNA said…

    Aw, Vanessa, I'm sorry!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home