Peanut Butter and Purple Onions

Sounds crazy until you try it.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Portobello Panache



It's vegetarian time here at PBPO. Three-quarters of my meals are vegetarian anyway, but every couple of months I like to take a total break from meat. Since this last weekend I encountered a genuine Philly cheesesteak, I felt more than ready to embrace the vegetables going forward.

Here's a great recipe to serve to vegetarians and carnivores alike -- the rich, hearty mushrooms more than make up for the usual chicken. If you keep marinara sauce and cheese on hand -- and I think it's pretty obvious that I'm never without either -- you can pick up the mushrooms on your way home from work and be ready to go.

Dimples doesn't care for mushrooms -- alas -- so I normally make this recipe one portobello cap at a time. Just multiply by the number of servings you want.

Mushroom Parmesan
Adapted from Giada de Laurentiis


a portobello mushroom cap (cut off any chunk of stem)
olive oil
salt and pepper
1/2-1/3 c. marinara sauce
1/4-1/2 c. shredded mozzarella
2 T. shredded Parmesan
oregano

Heat the oven to 450 and put your grill pan over medium-high heat. Look at all the use that pan's getting lately!

Brush the cap with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill topside down about five minutes, then turn and grill another 4-5 minutes. Remove from the grill.

Spread a little sauce onto the bottom of a small baking dish. Place the mushroom topside down onto the sauce, then cover with remaining sauce. Shake on a little oregano, then sprinkle with the cheeses.

Bake 10 minutes or so or until the cheese is melted and the mushroom is heated through.

14 Comments:

  • At 12:29 PM, Blogger Lis said…

    How delicious :D I've been on a parmesan kick lately (been stuck on the eggplant variety) but never thought to try it with portobellos before.. awesome idea, thank you!

     
  • At 7:26 PM, Anonymous Ellie said…

    Portobellos are fantastic - I'm quite partial to them grilled in a burger, have never thought of having them parmesan-style before! Num!

     
  • At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Ivonne said…

    Delicious, BNA!

    Giada's recipes work so well and this is a gorgeous one.

     
  • At 3:41 PM, Anonymous Jennifer said…

    How easy is that! I have all of those ingredients on hand, and I hear the grill calling...

    thanks!

     
  • At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Tania said…

    Portobello Parmigiana ... what a wonderful idea! I'll be this would be great on a kaiser roll, too.

    By the way, I am so coveting your grill pan ...

     
  • At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Tania said…

    Portobello parmigiana? What a delicious idea! I'll bet it would taste great on a kaiser roll, too.

    By the way, I am so coveting your grill pan ...

     
  • At 11:04 AM, Anonymous Tania said…

    Oops, I didn't mean to post two comments ... The first one came up with an error message, so I tried to leave another ... Guess I've left three comments, now! Hee!

     
  • At 12:16 AM, Anonymous Clare Eats said…

    oooh!
    This looks soooooo soooooo good!

     
  • At 6:25 PM, Anonymous Rorie said…

    I'm practically drooling as I type this. Looks absolutely delicious - I must try!

     
  • At 10:35 AM, Blogger BNA said…

    Hello everyone!

    Lis, you'll like this one very much if you like eggplant parmesan. Go for it!

    Hi Ellie! I love them grilled as a burger, too. Really, it's hard to go wrong.

    Hiya Ivonne! I think I have a crush on Giada. Shhhh.

    Answer the call, Jennifer!

    Hey Tania -- thanks! It's the only cast-iron pan I own. Got it on some ridiculous sale on Amazon -- quite a good source if you have time to wait for the sales.

    Hi Clare! This is one of the best recipes ever...I've made it twice since posting it!

    Rorie, you will love this one -- it's conquering palates left and right!

     
  • At 11:48 PM, Blogger Kalyn said…

    Sounds just wonderful to me.

     
  • At 4:45 PM, Blogger Rachel said…

    yum!

     
  • At 9:45 AM, Blogger Devorit said…

    Made it last night for the Male Parental Unit and me.... v. tastey . . and I got to christen my grill pan! woot :) I may, uh, have forgotten the oregano, but I added fresh basil from my extensive herb garden ;) Yum!

     
  • At 11:01 PM, Blogger Catherine said…

    Lovely! I love Ports and am always looking for new ideas!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home