Peanut Butter and Purple Onions

Sounds crazy until you try it.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

One Potato, Two Potato



It is a peculiar quirk of mine that, as much as I abhor raw tomatoes, I absolutely cannot live without cooked ones. Marinara sauce and salsa are absolute necessities in life (and yes, I know salsa is most often not cooked -- do not quibble with the neurosis).

And so is ketchup. I have always been addicted to ketchup. I will even go so far as to admit that in elementary school, a friend and I created a club we called the Ketchup Lovers of America. (Not really sure where the surge of patriotism came from.) We gave each other bottles of Heinz on birthdays.

Yep. I'm admitting to that right here on the internet.

The perfect foil for ketchup is, of course, the french fry. The crisp exterior contrasts with the smooth condiment; the mild starch sets off the sweet vinegary goodness of the red stuff. But although McDonald's does deliver -- all night -- in Manhattan, why order when baking is so much more fun?

You could have a batch of these ready for ketchup action in 45 minutes from right now. Go!

Oven-Baked Fries

Serves one greedy Heinz fanatic.

2 medium russet potatoes, scrubbed
olive oil
kosher salt
coarsely-ground black pepper
other spices of choice -- I tend to use some combination of Penzeys Toasted Onion powder, cayenne, chipotle, and/or oregano

Heat the oven to 450.

Slice your potatoes into wedges, batons, or a mixture. I'm not particularly good at making them come out consistent. Dribble about 1 tsp. olive oil over the wedges and toss to coat. Add about 1/2 tsp. salt and as much pepper and other spices as you like -- I tend to use 1/4 tsp. black pepper, 1/4 tsp. cayenne or chipotle, and 1/2 tsp. of something else. Toss to coat evenly.

Arrange the slices on a greased baking sheet, like this.



Bake 15 minutes, then flip the wedges over and bake 10-15 minutes more, to the degree of crispness that you prefer. They will hiss and pop in the oven, which is sort of fun.

You know what to serve them with.

Notes:
* These are also good with sweet potatoes.

5 Comments:

  • At 6:51 AM, Anonymous Ellie said…

    Home made chips which aren't fried.

    Me and my arteries love you.

     
  • At 12:52 PM, Blogger Acme Instant Food said…

    I LOVE these. I do 'em with your afore mentioned sweet potatoes. You can bake them on a pre-heated pizza stone too for a little extra crunch.

     
  • At 10:29 PM, Anonymous Ivonne said…

    Is it possible to still get membership in the Ketchup Club of America???

    Great fries!

     
  • At 2:43 PM, Blogger BNA said…

    Hiya Ellie! Your arteries will definitely enjoy these.

    Heya Acme -- that is BRILLIANT. Man, I wish my pizza stone were here rather than in storage somewhere in CA.

    Ivonne! I will make a special exception for you. Would you like a KLA badge or keychain?

     
  • At 12:21 AM, Blogger mooncrazy said…

    I could start my own Ketchup Club, I have to dip my grilled cheese in the stuff.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home