Peanut Butter and Purple Onions

Sounds crazy until you try it.

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Citrus Ceviche

I'm not sure whether my memory is failing or my camera is feeling recalcitrant, but when I hooked the device up to my computer to download pictures from my wine party two weekends ago, it seemed that certain shots were missing. In particular, I pretty clearly remember snapping a picture of my citrus ceviche in its cheerful yellow tomato dish. (I don't like to eat tomatoes, but I am quite fond of my yellow tomato dish. I try not to not think about this too much.)

Maybe my camera is punishing me for my carelessness in misplacing it; maybe I deleted the pictures later. Sadly, this is all I have for you:



Despite my lack of visual aids to tempt you, please do give this ceviche a try. If you're not familiar with the dish, the acidic citrus juices "cook" the fish over a couple of hours, so the end result is not raw, but sort of a fish salsa, if you will. I usually serve it with tortilla chips as an appetizer, but it also makes a great light meal for one or two, served over mixed greens.

Citrus Ceviche
Serves 6 as an appetizer, 1-2 as a meal.

0.5 lb fresh halibut filet (do not use frozen)
juice of two limes
juice of one lemon
4 T. fresh orange juice
2 red chiles, seeded and finely diced
2 scallions, white part only, finely chopped
1 Roma tomato, seeded and finely diced
1-2 small Haas avocados, diced
4 T. fresh cilantro, minced
0.5-0.75 tsp. kosher salt

Cut the fish into a fine dice, then mix with the citrus juices in a non-reactive (ceramic or glass) dish. Cover tightly and refrigerate for three hours, giving it a good stir every half hour or so.

Drain the fish, reserving 1-2 T. marinade. Toss the fish with the remaining ingredients except for the salt. Taste and add the salt gradually until you like the mixture. If it seems dry, add the reserved marinade.

Notes:
* I like this ceviche with any firm white fish. It's pretty good with salmon, too, but sometimes that has turned out too strong for me.
* I usually use red jalapenos, but I have substituted a green serrano for more heat.

5 Comments:

  • At 5:43 AM, Blogger Lis said…

    This sounds so fresh and summery! My father use to make a salad of tomatoes, onions and broiled perch or walleye (always freshly caught in good old Lake Erie) dressed with olive oil & balsamic.. then he'd add stale bread chunks to soak up some of the dressing.. was so good! I like the idea of "cooking" the fish with the citrus juices so this will be a definite "to do" this summer! Thanks, BNA =)

     
  • At 2:47 PM, Anonymous Rorie said…

    Yum!

     
  • At 1:53 AM, Blogger shaz said…

    i know what you mean. ihad several photos i go missing on me, and its extremely upsetting when you got a post to share that week.

     
  • At 2:47 AM, Anonymous Clare Eats said…

    I keep meaning to make cerviche! Maybe this is the kick I need

     
  • At 11:00 PM, Blogger BNA said…

    Hi Lis! That salad sounds wonderful, especially the stale bread to soak up the dressing. Try the ceviche for sure -- you'll enjoy the flavor.

    Hi Rorie! Couldn't agree more.

    Hi Shaz -- isn't it vexing? I think there are gremlins at work.

    Heya Clare! For sure give it a try...so good and so healthful, and how often do I get to say that?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home