Peanut Butter and Purple Onions

Sounds crazy until you try it.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Someone Stop Me!

Friends, we've known it for some time. Hard to deny, really. But after this weekend in southern California, I have realized that I must take action. Because I, BNA, have a severe spice problem.

Here it is: the spice cabinet.



The middle shelf is for cat food (as you can see, we need to go shopping. The catlings are pointedly refusing to eat the adult wet food, though. Anyone else have this problem transitioning their kittens' food supply? Anyway). The rest...spices. Herbs. Mixtures of both. Four rows' worth on the bottom shelf.



And one to grow on, on top where I can barely reach, for crying out loud. Can I remind the assembly that we live in a tiny NY apartment?



It wasn't always this way. In fact, when I moved out here, I packed up most of my spice collection and sent it downstate with Devorit, along with most of my wine collection. I figured, hey, time to break free. How many spices do you really need, foolish girl? Break free from the guilt emanating from all those tiny jars!

...the road to hell, etc., etc. You can see how long that set of good intentions lasted. About a week, as I recall. Then it was a jar of cinnamon here...a fistful of nutmegs there...all of a sudden, I had to make a trip to the Container Store (ok, I love the Container Store) to get a spice rack to house this monstrous collection.

This weekend, Devorit and I drove an hour to reach an actual Penzeys Spices store -- a glorious place I had never before seen. My favorite part? Alphabetization. Glorious, precise, logical order. My little Virgo soul thrilled to its fingertips. And the spices weren't bad, either.

But now I am under strict self-imposed orders to stoppitalready. Look! There's no more room! End of story! And...scene!

Except I just got this new curry cookbook...and I don't have any curry leaves or various other crucial things...and Devorit's coming to New York this weekend.

Please. Help me.

p.s. I think I mentioned this in a comment once, but not in a full post -- I have two people to thank for my Penzeys addiction -- the fabulous Kalyn of Kalyn's Kitchen, who first piqued my curiosity about the brand, and my cousin-in-law R., who presented me with my first jars, the Some Like It Hot collection. Thanks to both!

13 Comments:

  • At 7:49 PM, Blogger Devorit said…

    . . . and we are SO going to that store you sent me the link to . . . and I just found a site that recommended it highly! Maybe Max and Widget will let you use their Hidey Cave for new aquisitions?!?

    can't wait! can't wait!

     
  • At 9:11 PM, Blogger Jasmine said…

    Can never have enough spices, books, music, chocolate...

    tee hee

    Thanks for visiting me :)

    j

     
  • At 12:06 AM, Blogger Michele said…

    I am SO JEALOUS! And I thought *I* was addicted to Penzey's LOL!!! :) It's true you can never have enough spices!

     
  • At 12:08 AM, Blogger JoAnna said…

    you were in Southern California & didn't look me up? HURT!

     
  • At 8:59 AM, Blogger BNA said…

    You haven't seen the cats in a while, D...I wouldn't trust them with anything remotely breakable. Or even anything presumed unbreakable.

    Welcome, Jasmine! You're so right...too much of a good thing and all that.

    I know, Michele, I've catapaulted straight into Penzey-addict mode. In my defense (sorta), a lot of those spices are not Penzey's, but just have been re-bottled in Penzey's jars, to make everything similarly-sized and pretty. Because I am a freak.

    So sorry, Joanna! It was a whirlwind visit...we barely left the OC.

     
  • At 2:38 PM, Blogger JoAnna said…

    your blog reminded me that I needed to find a vendor of Raz Al Hanout. I did, ultimately, find it, but... well, see my blog for the grisly details.

     
  • At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Paige said…

    BNA,
    Don't worry. There are far worse addictions! I love Penzeys, too. My husband got me the subscription to the new Penzeys magazine and I am enjoying that along with the delicious spices!

     
  • At 12:58 AM, Blogger darlamay said…

    I'm afraid I share the same addiction. My mother never used spices. Our food was so bland. I alone am making up for lost time for my parents and my two sisters.

    Problem? I don't have a problem.

     
  • At 11:06 AM, Blogger yoony said…

    oh my god, i am thoroughly impressed with your spice collection! what are your favorites? and most unique/uncommon?

     
  • At 10:49 PM, Anonymous Ivonne said…

    If it makes you feel any better I happen to think your spice cabinet is lovely. Everything looks organized and I love the labels!

    Does that help at all???

    :o)

    By the way, I'm so jealous you can order from Penzeys. We don't have that store in Canada.

    I wonder if I could order a catalogue from them? Hmmm???

     
  • At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Tania said…

    I have been searching for The Spice Rack of My Dreams ever since I moved into my place (um, four years ago!), and until I find it, my spice jars are housed in a box on my kitchen counter. I wish we had a Container Store here! Until then, I will long for your lovely cabinet, and, of course, spices.

     
  • At 11:08 AM, Blogger Nerissa said…

    LOL... this reminds me a bit of my spice cupboard. It's not nearly as detailed as yours yet but I have one full shelf in the cupboard and half the shelf above is being invaded too. Yours is a bit more organized than mine though. I take what jars I can get for spice storage as hauling umpteen jars of the same size and description would be just too expensive for me in the middle of the boonies. I like that the jars in your cupboard are stackable. Most of mine aren't.

     
  • At 6:22 PM, Blogger BNA said…

    JoAnna, that story is too funny...

    Hi Paige! I didn't get the magazine because I already am two feet behind the subscriptions I already have (and yes, I measure them in feet, not issues...sigh). Let me know what you make from it.

    There's no problem here, Darla...we can stop any time we want to...right?

    Welcome, yoony. My favorite spices right now are the Ceylon cinnamon (unbelievably fragrant), ancho chile powder (zesty, not too hot), and Foxpoint seasonings (I'm putting it on everything these days). I don't think I have too many unusual spices, really -- maybe some of the Indian or Thai ingredients, like amchur powder or galangal?

    It helps a lot, Ivonne! I'm glad someone appreciates my labels. :) At least they're just alphabetical and not cross-referenced...

    Tania, I feel your pain, or at least your quest. The Spice Rack of Dreams haunts us all...

    Welcome Nerissa! I ordered empty bottles from Penzeys because I wanted the bottles to stack and be uniform -- they arrived by mail safely, nothing broken or chipped. Maybe an option?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home