Peanut Butter and Purple Onions

Sounds crazy until you try it.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

This Is What the White Rabbit Must Have Felt Like

...when he was late for a very important date.

I had plans for the evening, my friends. I had a menu to make: lemon-ginger chicken, couscous, roasted fennel. I was even going to write it up if it went well, considering both my cooking and my posting have fallen by the wayside lately.

But do you know what was demurely waiting for me in the mail today?

Oh yes. That's right. The new Penzey's Spices catalog.

Obviously, you understand that I now have no choice but to stay up until I've finished reading every. Single. Entry.

Don't let the bedbugs bite!

p.s.
The lemon-ginger chicken turned out very well, and it's absurdly easy. Zest a lemon, squeeze all the juice out of it, pop the zest and juice into a Ziploc, and add 2 tsp. minced ginger, 2 tsp. brown sugar, 1 tsp. peanut oil, and 2 chopped dried red chiles. Add four bone-in skinless chicken thighs, give it a good shake, and marinate them in the refrigerator overnight. Dump everything into a baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, checking for doneness at 30 minutes.

5 Comments:

  • At 1:24 PM, Blogger Devorit said…

    I haven't gotten mine yet! And I have class late tonight . . .oh, the pain and the sorrow . . . still the fact that it might be at home waiting for me, full of tastes and delights, will give me something to look forward to as I sit though a library tour. We're in grad school . . . shouldn't we pretty much know how to use the library?!?! Still, maybe he'll get into using the new, nifty databases ::fingers crossed::

    Now I have Col. Brandon's voice in my head "The air is full of spices."

     
  • At 12:17 AM, Blogger Cate said…

    Mine came today ... so how much did you spend? ;)

     
  • At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Paige said…

    Hi BNA. I know what you mean about that catalogue. I tore out some recipes to try, as I do every time! By the way, in case you'd like to participate, I've tagged you for the Meme of 4's.

     
  • At 11:39 PM, Anonymous Ivonne said…

    I'm so jealous!

    I would order the catalogue but I fear the damage that I would do. You must tell us all about everything that you order. Everything!

     
  • At 9:30 AM, Blogger BNA said…

    Hi Cate -- entirely too much! But I console myself that a lot of that was for empty bottles...

    Hey Paige -- thanks for the tag! Assuming Blogger ever lets me post again...

    Ivonne! Ok, I'll confess. Ozark seasoning (for fried chicken), Fox Point seasoning (for chicken and fish), Bangkok blend, baking and cake blends, Balti blend (mild curry), Red & Black blend (cayenne and black pepper blend), pork chop seasoning, Italian blend, fines herbes, herbes de provence...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home