Peanut Butter and Purple Onions

Sounds crazy until you try it.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

It's a What?


So we flew to Florida last weekend, where Dimples grew up and his parents still live, so he could defrost a little from the New York chill. (Mighty has been the grumping of late when every Saturday is too cold for city wandering.) Great weekend, flight delays notwithstanding, and I have two events of note to relate.

1. I went jet-skiing! And, more crucially -- lived to tell the tale! (Of course, I was no more than a limpet clinging to Dimples's back, occasionally providing him with an unnecessary rendition of the Heimlich maneuver when we hit choppy water.)

2. The Floridians, they do not lie when they boast about their citrus. I spotted what appeared to be grapefruit on his mother's counter -- my usual conclusion about a yellow citrus fruit with a diameter larger than a softball. But no! These were lemons! Ponderosa lemons, to be precise, which apparently are just very, very big lemons. To wit:

Now that's a lemon.

Inspired (and a little frightened), I offer you this recipe for lovely lemon muffins, made with olive oil for a more vibrant flavor. No ponderosa lemons were harmed in the making of these muffins, because I wouldn't dare.

Lemon-Scented Olive Oil Muffins
Adapted from Cooking Light


Muffins:
1 c. all-purpose flour
0.5 c. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
o.25 tsp. salt
0.5 c. nonfat sour cream
1.5 T grated lemon rind
2 T. excellent extra-virgin olive oil
1.5 T. skim milk
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1 large egg
1 large egg white

Glaze:
1 c. powdered sugar
0.5 tsp. grated lemon peel
3-4 T. fresh lemon juice

Heat oven to 350. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl with a whisk, then make a well in the center.

Combine sour cream, lemon rind, olive oil, milk, lemon juice, egg, and egg white in a small bowl, mixing well. Add to the well in the flour mixture and stir just until moist. Resist the urge to stir until the lumps are gone -- you will regret it.

Spoon the batter into 10 sprayed muffin cups. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until the muffins spring back when you touch them lightly in the center. Remove from pan immediately and cool on a wire rack.

For the glaze, combine the powdered sugar, lemon peel, and enough lemon juice to create a consistency that pleases you. Drop the glaze onto the cooled muffins and let stand until set.

* I used my new olive oil from the Ferry Building, which has a lovely bold flavor. If you use a regular olive oil, the flavor will be more of a supporting player.

5 Comments:

  • At 2:08 PM, Blogger Gadget said…

    I'm so glad you posted this recipe! Those muffins were so tasty! I remain firm in my assertion that they're really cupcakes and not muffins. ;-)

     
  • At 5:02 PM, Blogger BNA said…

    Nooooo! Muffins! You can justify eating more muffins than you can cupcakes...work with me here, kid.

     
  • At 6:45 PM, Anonymous vanessa said…

    citrus baked goods?
    yes please :)
    that is a honkin' lemon.

     
  • At 7:24 PM, Blogger karina said…

    Oh my. Just reading about these lemons made my mouth water!

     
  • At 10:08 AM, Blogger BNA said…

    I swear it was giving me the evil eye, Vanessa...it was *sentient.*

    These are really tasty, Karina -- do you think a gluten-free version would work?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home