Peanut Butter and Purple Onions

Sounds crazy until you try it.

Thursday, March 16, 2006

How I Spent My Weekend

Actually, this is not at all an accurate representation. Two of my dearest friends got married in a gorgeous ceremony in downtown San Francisco, and -- amazingly, because, come on -- everything was flawless. Stunning. And any other superlative you can imagine.

But here are two non-wedding related photos, capturing two of the non-wedding highlights of the weekend.

First, our spread from Cowgirl Creamery at the Ferry Building...

I hear it's a bit passe now to declare abject adoration for the Ferry Building, but I ask you: how can we not? How can we not swear endless fealty to a place that offers Cowgirl Creamery, Acme Bakery, a wine shop, an herb shop, an olive oil shop, tea, chocolate (2x), more baked goods, caviar, oysters...? And Slanted Door? There's nowhere else that captures the over-the-top earnestness and gourmet hedonism of Northern California. Wonderful.

And then I came home to my Penzey's order! Do you think I went overboard?

Don't worry, these aren't all new. I bought a gadzillion empty bottles, because the mishmash hodgepodge of different sizes and shapes was driving me insane. I spent a happy two hours sorting, organizing, transferring. And now my hands smell like cardamom (slight mishap with a carton of pods).

How cool is that?

7 Comments:

  • At 9:21 AM, Blogger Kalyn said…

    Lucky you. I've only gone to the Ferry building once, when I was visiting my stepsister, but if I lived there I would be going all the time. And my love for Penzeys has been a long-term commitment. Lucky you.

     
  • At 10:20 AM, Blogger karina said…

    Way cool! I'm so envious I can taste it. [Glad you had a gorgeous time.]

     
  • At 11:19 AM, Blogger Ng Wai Mun, Paul said…

    Hi there!

    Let me introduce myself, I'm Paul, the owner of recipes365.net, I started this weblog recently to showcase a recipe a day everyday. I was wondering would you be interested to be a recipe contributor?

    Regards. Paul.

     
  • At 6:22 PM, Blogger Genevieve said…

    i totally know what you mean. i make a pilgramage from boston to the ferry building at least twice a year. :) go acme.

     
  • At 1:00 AM, Blogger darlamay said…

    Completley jealous, but glad you had fun!

     
  • At 9:35 AM, Blogger BNA said…

    Hey Kalyn -- it's an amazing place, isn't it? And by the way, you're the source of my new Penzey's fixation -- your links to the site in your ingredient lists started my addiction!!

    Morning Karina -- SF is always so lovely, it's hard to leave.

    Hi Paul -- what a fun invitation! I'd love to contribute. Tell me more at bna underscore pbpo at yahoo dot com.

    Welcome Genevieve! You'll notice I didn't admit how many loaves we hauled away from Acme...but it was impressive.

     
  • At 11:34 PM, Anonymous vanessa said…

    Oh girl, you went all out. Look at all those goodies. And I'm with you about the Ferry Buildiing. I still love it. And I still love the Slanted Door!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home