Peanut Butter and Purple Onions

Sounds crazy until you try it.

Saturday, February 25, 2006

You CAN Take It With You


As long as we're talking about oatmeal.

I've been kind of obsessed with oatmeal lately. I eat big bowls of it, strewn with tiny Maine blueberries and laced with cinnamon and nutmeg. Breakfast, lunch, dinner. Enormous steaming spoonfuls of oatmeal on a chilly afternoon? Perfect. (Mom, who was required to eat oatmeal as a girl and now hates it with a violent magenta passion, is probably quite perplexed.)

It's not all that portable, though, so when you want oatmeal to go, try mixing up a batch of these. They're quick to make and wonderful hot or cooled. I'm partial to the pumpkin variation, but the basic applesauce-based recipe is really very good -- like an oatmeal brownie without the chocolate. (That probably doesn't make a lot of sense.)

Baked Oatmeal
Adapted from the Weight Watchers message boards


Makes one 8x8 pan.

2 c. rolled oats (quick-cooking will work)
1.5 tsp. baking powder
0.5 tsp. salt
1.5 T. cinnamon
2 dashes nutmeg
1 c. skim milk
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
0.5 c. unsweetened applesauce
0.25 c. Splenda baking blend

Heat the oven to 350 and spray an 8x8 pan with baking spray (the kind with flour). Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ones in another; combine. Pour the mixture into the pan and bake 35-45 minutes. I find 40 minutes is usually about right.

Notes:
* Pumpkin variation -- replace the applesauce with canned pumpkin and add several dashes ground ginger and one dash cloves.
* The bars have a crumbly texture when hot. After cooling, they will be a little sticky.

8 Comments:

  • At 11:28 AM, Anonymous vanessa said…

    Bitchin. I love me a bowl of good oats. Nostalgia is hearing one of those packets of quaker oats shaken before being poured into the bowl and smelling the cinnamon from the microwave. but i'm definitely fond of the steel cut variety, laced with anything i crave.

     
  • At 12:35 AM, Anonymous Jennifer said…

    Mmmm, what a great idea. Kind of like a homemade granola bar, no? Yum.

     
  • At 10:18 AM, Blogger BNA said…

    heya Vanessa -- bitchin indeed. I practically lived on those instant Quaker oats packets in college. I made steel cut oats yesterday morning, but jeez, talk about labor intensive. Weekend-morning option only, I think.

    howdy Jennifer -- they're a little softer and more crumbly than a granola bar, but yep, definitely in that direction. And fun to customize.

     
  • At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Tania said…

    Oh yes, I, too, love oatmeal, particularly with wild blueberries. These bars look good! I'm always looking for healthy AND portable brekkie options. I'm not keen on Splenda, though -- guess I could sub in a bit of brown sugar?

     
  • At 8:09 PM, Blogger BNA said…

    hey Tania -- brown sugar would work for sure. In fact, it would be better, I imagine. I'm just clinging desperately to the idea of losing a pound or two more before this wedding!

     
  • At 6:43 PM, Blogger Rachel said…

    what a clever idea!

     
  • At 6:12 PM, Blogger darlamay said…

    I love love love oatmeal too. Here is a variation I'll suggest: Over the holidays I had left over mashed sweet potatoes and one morning added them to my oatmeal DELICIOUS! I bet that would be good instead of applesauce too.

     
  • At 10:55 PM, Blogger BNA said…

    Thanks Rachel! They've become a staple around here.

    Darla -- omg -- you have such a gift for kicking my recipes up a notch. That is brilliant.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home