Peanut Butter and Purple Onions

Sounds crazy until you try it.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

When in Doubt, Make a Sandwich Out of It

It's a good philosophy, don't you think? So many things are made infinitely better by stuffing them inside of two pieces of bread. I've been an enthusiastic supporter of the sandwichification method ever since I chewed my way through my first fried egg sandwich. I couldn't have been more than ten, and until then I had refused to eat fried eggs, which had a weird floppy/gooky texture to me. (Three cheers for Mom, who would patiently scramble my eggs while frying everyone else's.) But someone, can't remember who, handed me one morning the miracle of a fried egg, draped with cheese, and crammed between two slices of whole wheat buttered toast. Utter heaven.

Since then, bread has lived in serious fear of its life around me. I'll make a sandwich out of nearly anything -- pasta (be careful of penne, it'll shoot out of the back of the 'wich), frittatas, salads. Jello. Ok, only once with that last, and yes, it was on a dare.

So when I spied this recipe, I knew what we would do with it -- slather toasted bread with searing mustard, pile on the baby spinach, and top it off with layers of the spicy roasted pork. It worked even better than I thought it would. I can honestly say this was the best pork tenderloin I have ever made, and you'd never think it's a WW recipe.

I suppose, if you really wanted to, you could eat it sans bread -- maybe with some mashed potatoes to cool the heat. But -- seriously. Make it a sandwich.

(sorry the picture's a little weird...)



Jalapeno-Marinated Pork Tenderloin
Adapted from Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook


Serves 4.

zest of 1 orange
0.25 c. fresh orange juice
4 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
1-2 jalapeno chiles, sliced (use 1 if you're sensitive to heat, and remove the veins and seeds)
2-3 cloves garlic, sliced
1.5 tsp. ground cumin
0.5 tsp. salt
0.5 tsp. black pepper
1 lb. pork tenderloin

Make a marinade by whisking together all the ingredients except the pork in a small bowl. Put the pork inside a gallon-size Ziploc and pour the marinade in. Seal the bag and squish the pork around to fully coat. Toss it in the fridge for at least two hours and up to overnight. Turn it occasionally so it doesn't feel neglected.

Heat the oven to 450. Line your roasting pan with aluminum foil and spray it with nonstick spray. Place the tenderloin on the pan and pour the marinade over. If you're fond of heat, press the chile slices onto the surface of the roast. Roast 5 minutes, then turn the heat down to 350 and roast another 15-18 minutes. The internal temperature you're looking for is 165 F.

Let stand 5-10 minutes before slicing.

Notes:
* 4 points per serving.
* This sauce is a quick version of a mojo sauce, which I (perhaps inaccurately) associate with the Caribbean. Mojo sauces or marinades usually contain olive oil, lots of garlic, paprika or chili powder, something acidic like vinegar or citrus juices, and cumin. It's also awesome on chicken.
* This pork has some serious chile heat with the two jalapenos, so tone it down if you're not a freak like me who enjoys wincing while she eats.

5 Comments:

  • At 2:48 PM, Blogger Devorit said…

    It might have been the grandfather who handed you said sandwich. . .but, then, he liked his fried egg sandwiches with mayo, so perhaps not. :)

    I must try this. But since I haven't gotten home this week before 9 pm, my desires have been thwarted.

    So, I take it the 2 jalepenos will be sufficient for the male paternal unit?

     
  • At 3:26 PM, Blogger BNA said…

    Yeah, don't make it with more than two chiles, not even for Dad. This pork is *hot*. If he complains, tell him to put the cooked jalapenos on his sandwich -- that'll do it.

     
  • At 9:42 PM, Anonymous Rorie said…

    Wow. I'm impressed.

     
  • At 11:58 PM, Blogger Devorit said…

    yes, me again . . . but I just had to savor this with you -- the tang, and the zing! wow. I threw it on some flat bread with some hearts of romaine, and just a cooling touch of sour cream. Out of this world. I really lilke the citrus flavor.

     
  • At 9:52 AM, Blogger BNA said…

    heya Rorie! by my crazy chile addiction? ;)

    D -- excellent. Make sure you make it for the parentals.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home