Peanut Butter and Purple Onions

Sounds crazy until you try it.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

They Look Like Biscotti to Me...

...but according to Cooking Light, they're Italian Anise Cookies. Well, okay.

Any way you slice it (so to speak), these are mighty tasty. Almonds and anise are a classic Italian flavor combination, one I've always loved. These are wonderful crunched on their own, or dipped into a mug of tea.



Italian Anise Cookies
Adapted from Cooking Light


3 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 c. sugar
2 large eggs
2 egg whites
0.25 c. melted butter
0.5 to 0.75 chopped almonds (vary the fineness of the chop according to how much you like to bite into chunks of almond)
1.5 tsp. aniseed

Whisk flour and baking powder together. In another bowl, pour in the sugar, eggs, and egg whites, then beat on high until fluffy. Beat in the butter, then gradually add the flour mixture, almonds, and aniseed. The dough will be quite sticky and soft.

Divide the dough in half as best you can and turn out each half onto a separate sheet of wax paper. Shape the dough into rolls about eight inches long and 4-5 inches across, depending on what length you want the cookies to be. Chill the dough for an hour.

Heat the oven to 350. Unwrap the rolls, keeping the profanity to a minimum if there are small children about, and place on greased baking sheets. Bake 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove them and cool 10 minutes on a wire rack, then slice crosswise into slices, between .25" and .5". Place the slices on a baking sheet and bake 5 minutes. Turn the slices over and bake another 5 minutes. Cool the cookies on the rack.

10 Comments:

  • At 8:36 PM, Anonymous Ivonne said…

    Whatever you call them, they look good to me!

    Wish I could have one ...

     
  • At 9:29 PM, Anonymous vanessa said…

    anise is totally underrated. i should make these for weekend chai consumption.

     
  • At 11:30 AM, Blogger darlamay said…

    YUUUUUMMMMMMM! I love anise/almond combos too! Try dipping them in melted chocolate almond bark too. Hello!

    Another word to call them: cantuccini--- that's what they're officially called in Italy. Biscotti is just a generic word like "cookie." But I confess to using the B word more often than not. force of habit!

     
  • At 11:39 AM, Blogger BNA said…

    They're super-quick to make, Ivonne...you could be having one very soon!

    Right on, Vanessa. I've been on a vanilla chai kick lately myself.

    OMG...melted chocolate almond bark on these cookies would be UNREAL. Darla, you're a genius. And hey, cantuccini sounds very impressive. I'll start calling them that.

     
  • At 9:11 AM, Blogger shaz said…

    i love anything with almonds in them! nice blog! I added your blog as a link to mine. I hope you dont mind. Shaz, a food blogger from singapore

     
  • At 11:23 PM, Anonymous helen said…

    Yum. I love these biscuits from my local Greek bakery. They're so delicious dunked in cups of tea!

    ps. love the name of your blog!

     
  • At 10:46 AM, Blogger vlb5757 said…

    Biscotti by any other name is still Biscotti! LOL! I am with you. These are THE best dunking cookies for coffee or tea around. Yours look great.

     
  • At 8:54 AM, Blogger karina said…

    I miss biscotti! [I may have to experiment now...] Those looks perfect!

     
  • At 2:38 PM, Anonymous Rorie said…

    Yum.

     
  • At 10:49 PM, Blogger BNA said…

    My goodness -- hello, everyone. Blogger wasn't showing me as having any new comments, for some reason.

    Hi Shaz -- welcome! and thanks for the link. I'll add yours to mine when next I update.

    Hello Helen -- thanks and welcome! I think I'm due for a good old-fashioned peanut butter and purple onion sandwich soon...

    Howdy vlb5757! Dunking is definitely the best use for cookies, IMO...

    Please experiment, Karina! I would love to try out alternatives for my gluten-free friend.

    Hey Rorie -- you said it, sister. ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home