Peanut Butter and Purple Onions

Sounds crazy until you try it.

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Scurvy Cure


Dimples is very enthusiastic about lemons. And when I say "enthusiastic," what I mean is "rhapsodic, verging on starry-eyed, and not to be left alone in the citrus section of Whole Foods."

For well over a year now, he's been not-so-idly mentioning his grandmother's famous lemon sherbert. (Sherbet? Now both options look weird to me. I don't know.) Despite the fact that we're supposed to get a foot of snow this weekend (...I'll believe it when I see it), last night he decided that this was the perfect time. So that was our late-night project. Several pulped lemons and one scraped knuckle later, we poured a vat of citrus-scented milk and sugar into a brownie pan. And this morning, we were rewarded with a 9x13 sheet of creamy frozen lemonness. It looks like a sheet cake made of ice cream, actually.


I don't know the technical distinctions between the frozen desserts -- ice cream, ice milk, sherbert, gelato, sorbet, granita, etc. Ignorance notwithstanding, this recipe strikes me as sort of a milky granita. Dimples says his family's always eaten it in chunks, cut from the pan, or alternatively mooshed up in a glass with fruit juice. The lemon flavor comes through clean and bright, and the texture has a nice crunch, not too sharp on the tongue.

Dimples's Lemon Sherbert

0.67 c. fresh-squeezed lemon juice
zest of one lemon
4 c. whole milk
1.75 c. white sugar

Mix everything together in a large bowl, then pour into a 13x9 pan and freeze. Check it after 2-3 hours and stir the slush around a bit, then allow to freeze solid. Cut into squares and enjoy your frozen vitamin C.

9 Comments:

  • At 4:27 AM, Blogger Riana said…

    Yummm, that is such a great idea!! My ice cream machine broke so I'll just make sherbert like this...thanks!

     
  • At 8:50 AM, Blogger e! said…

    0.67 c. fresh-squeezed lemon juice?
    1.75 c. white sugar?!?

    I'll definitely have to try out this recipe, despite the obscure measurements!!

     
  • At 9:49 AM, Blogger BNA said…

    Hi Riana -- I hope you enjoy it! it's definitely not a traditional ice cream or sherbert texture, but it is very good.

    heya e -- I know, it's sorta weird, but I find that when I type out "2/3" on Blogger, it can get harder to read. So I go with the decimals. What can I say, I'm quirky.

     
  • At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Tania said…

    Dimples and I must have a common ancestor -- I'm mad for lemons, too!! But won't the lemon make the milk curdle, or does the sugar prevent that?

     
  • At 5:58 PM, Anonymous Paige said…

    BNA, this sounds like a refreshing treat in winter or summer. I like the reference to scurvy in the title. It certainly seems that the lemons would help prevent it!

     
  • At 9:05 PM, Blogger BNA said…

    Hi Tania -- I had the same concern, and took a leap of faith, but for some reason it didn't seem to be a problem. I'm beyond ignorant when it comes to ice cream, so I'm not sure what the answer is -- but the dessert tastes wonderful...

    Hi Paige! I was terrified of getting scurvy when I was a kid -- I think because the word itself sounds dreadful (there certainly was no vitamin C shortage in southern California) -- and for some reason it popped into my head when I was getting ready to post this. Funny how our minds work!

     
  • At 1:57 PM, Blogger karina said…

    My husband [aka Steve] is also crazy about lemon sherbert/sorbet. I'm going to make this for him! Yay! Thank you. ;-) {I'm about to score serious points.]

     
  • At 5:37 PM, Blogger darlamay said…

    hey! long time no comment! sorry! YOu've been busy! (I accidently had a typo and wrote "busty", good thing I fixed it). Iwas going to make Raspberry sorbet tonight, but decided to buy it instead. Don't tell anyone!

     
  • At 9:08 AM, Blogger BNA said…

    Major points -- excellent! Let me know how he likes it, Karina.

    Darla! alas, no, busty I am not. ;) your raspberry sorbet secret is safe with me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home