Peanut Butter and Purple Onions

Sounds crazy until you try it.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

ARF/5-a-Day Tuesday -- Blackberry Muffins



Dimples loves blackberries, so when the baking bug descended this last weekend, I scrabbled through my recipe box until I found this clipping. I figured this way he'd be more likely to help out with the results. And I was right!

The oats give these a toothsome texture, and the blackberries are bright and cheerful. Good for beating the winter blues -- and I choose to believe that the combination of oats and blackberries make these entirely healthful and virtuous. Ahem.



Whole-Grain Blackberry Spice Muffins
Adapted from Cooking Light


Makes 15 or so.

2 c. flour
1 c. rolled oats
1 c. packed dark brown sugar
1.5 tsp. baking powder
0.5 tsp. baking soda
0.5 tsp. salt
0.25 tsp. cinnamon
0.25 tsp. nutmeg
dash cloves
dash ginger
1 c. skim milk
3 T. butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 egg, beaten
1.5 c. frozen blackberries
granulated sugar

Heat the oven to 400. Chop the blackberries and return them to the freezer as you continue. Line a muffin tin with paper muffin cups and spray them with nonstick cooking spray.

Combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder and soda, salt, and spices in a large bowl. In another bowl, mix the milk, butter, vanilla, and egg together. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients. Mix gently to combine. Stir in the blackberries.

Spoon 0.25 c. batter into each muffin cup. Bake for 16 minutes, then sprinkle the muffins with a little granulated sugar. Return the muffins to the oven for another 3 minutes, or until they spring back when touched lightly.

Cool in pans on wire racks for ten minutes.

This week Stephanie at Dispensing Happiness is hosting the roundup -- thanks Stephanie!

4 Comments:

  • At 10:37 PM, Anonymous Ivonne said…

    I'm so glad you found that clipping!

    I love blackberries and those muffins look fantastic!

     
  • At 2:03 PM, Blogger BNA said…

    See, now I can justify all my many hours spent clipping recipes from all seventeen subscriptions! These are very tasty, so I hope you'll give them a try.

     
  • At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Rorie said…

    Sounds delicious! I love blackberries too & I'm always looking for new ways to cook with them - thanks for the inspiration!

     
  • At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Tania said…

    I've never cooked with blackberries, as they usually don't last long enough to be baked into anything in my home. These muffins sound delicious, and I like that they are relatively low in fat, too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home