Peanut Butter and Purple Onions

Sounds crazy until you try it.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

The Year of the Cuppa

As I slog through my staggeringly full inbox here at work, I've been stealing quick peeks at heaps of food blogs to see what you've all been up to over the last few weeks. I've missed you so! I'm not nearly done catching up (some of you have been very productive), and it's wonderful. Like curling up for an evening under a fuzzy blanket with a stack of magazines, a mug of spiked hot chocolate, and a kitten or two. Nice.

Many bloggers have posted lists of their goals or resolutions for 2006, and, inspired, I wanted to get two of my own out there as a means of accountability. I'm a big fan of the "whatever works" school of self-deception/encouragement. You know, like setting my alarm clock fifteen minutes fast even though I know perfectly well that when the buzzer explodes at 6:30, it's really 6:15. As I say -- whatever works.

First, a cliche. I'm buckling down and getting serious about losing some weight. A very dear friend is getting married mid-March, and the bridesmaid dresses are truly lovely -- and fitted. Not to mention that I swore when I cleared 30 that I would actually start eating those exasperating five servings of produce a day. So! The time is right, I've armed myself with a cute notepad and sassy pen for keeping track of what I'm eating (...whatever works), and I'm off to the races. Well, the treadmill, anyway.

And so I'll be cooking mostly Weight Watchers and other similar recipes for the next chunk of time. I'll post the good recipes here for others in the same boat. Last night I made a reputedly "Savory Lamb Stew" out of a Weight Watchers cookbook, but -- meh. Not bad, but not interesting. Certainly not worth a second batch.

And second, I have resolved to drink more tea. Not for antioxidants, or as a coffee substitute, or any other typical reason. No, this is simply because I have collected more kinds of tea since moving to New York than I would have thought humanly possible. I must have thirty blends now, and really -- that's absurd. Utterly. (And it's only been seven months, people.) They're all keepers, too, so I don't want to do the hand-them-off-to-friends thing. And after all, I like tea.

But now I'm getting serious. I've banned myself from the Adagio website, I resolutely avoid the tea aisle, I brew three cups a day. In fact, it's time for another. I think...Wild Blueberry Fair Trade Certified. Just the thing.

And now back to the blog splurge!

2 Comments:

  • At 6:11 PM, Blogger Laurie said…

    Tea is one of those things that I really, really love the concept but when it comes to making something hot to drink, I always go for the java. So I collect a lot of good intentioned tea!

     
  • At 9:05 AM, Blogger BNA said…

    So true, so true. I have a similar good-intentions problem with spices. I'm going to use that bulk sack of cardamom pods any day now, right?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home