Peanut Butter and Purple Onions

Sounds crazy until you try it.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

La La La La -- Lemon

Anyone remember the Ernie and Bert "La La La" song? LA LA LA -- LINOLEUM!

Ahem.

So anyway, Sunday is the Patient Co-Worker's birthday, which means tomorrow we bring little treats for office snacking. I'm bringing these:



Not too sweet, these pack a lemony almondy punch. They're a good choice when you want to offer something that can bridge the gap between breakfast and dessert. The ricotta gives them a moist, fairly dense texture.

Lemon Ricotta Muffins
Adapted from Giada de Laurentiis


Makes 12.

2 c. all-purpose unbleached flour
0.5 tsp. baking powder
0.5 tsp. baking soda
0.5 tsp. salt
1 c. plus 1 tsp. granulated sugar
0.5 c. unsalted butter, brought to room temperature
zest from two lemons, finely grated
1 c. ricotta cheese (whole or part-skim, your choice), brought to room temperature
1 egg, brought to room temperature
1 T. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. almond extract
0.3 c. sliced almonds

Line 12 muffin cups with liners and heat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt with a whisk. (I will confess that I love mixing dry ingredients with a whisk. Don't you?)

In another bowl, use a mixer to beat 1 c. sugar, the butter, and the zest until fluffy. Beat in the ricotta, and then the egg, lemon juice, and almond extract.

Add the dry ingredients and beat together. The batter will be quite fluffy and you won't be able to pour it, so use a measuring cup to dollop it into the muffin pan. Sprinkle almonds over the top of each cup, and then shake over a little extra sugar.

Bake until the muffins turn a pale golden color and lose that sticky look, about 20 minutes. Yummy warm or cool.

Notes:
* I upped the almond extract, but if you're not nuts about almonds -- perish the thought -- decrease it to 0.5 tsp.
* You like that Tab can in the background? I thought that stuff was extinct until last week!

12 Comments:

  • At 10:08 PM, Blogger e! said…

    That sounds amazing - might just have to try it out.

    My latest dessert project was a devil's food cake including a secret spooky ingredient - shredded beets! (Another Linda Carucci creation. Absolute genius.)

     
  • At 12:16 AM, Blogger darlamay said…

    I love lemon. I love ricotta. I love muffins. I love linoleum.

    'nuff said.

     
  • At 2:40 AM, Blogger ilva said…

    Ricotta is a winner in muffins and sponge cakes! I have to try this!

     
  • At 9:23 AM, Blogger BNA said…

    Good morning, all...

    e -- ok, that sounds both eerie and alluring. I bet the beets make it really moist?

    Darla -- I knew someone would understand! you will really love these.

    and Ilva, you're so right about the miraculous powers of ricotta. I can also report that the Patient Co-Worker gives these a very enthusiastic thumbs-up.

     
  • At 10:42 AM, Blogger Devorit said…

    Did you use your shiny new microplane for the zesty goodness??

     
  • At 12:44 PM, Blogger BNA said…

    You know that I did...and managed to slice my pinkie finger in three places in the process. I'm just that good.

     
  • At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Tania said…

    I'm mad for anything flavoured with lemon (okay, maybe not "Mr. Clean"), so just reading about these gems is making me drool!

    Thanks for dropping by my blog the other day. Your site is lovely! You now have a new visitor who'll be dropping in quite regularly ...

     
  • At 1:34 PM, Blogger Devorit said…

    well, finger-sliceage was foolish! Do we need to review kitchen safety?! Or were the kittens twining around your feet plaintively and being A Distraction?

     
  • At 2:24 PM, Blogger BNA said…

    hey Tania! I just discovered your site the other day and think it's fantastic. Plus, I am dying to get a dachshund...

    I can't even blame the kittens, D...I was trying to get the zest off the back of the darn thing and had some issues.

     
  • At 4:59 PM, Blogger Kristen said…

    Hey BNA,
    I just tagged you for a meme! I hope that's ok ... if you don't feel like doing it, don't worry about it. They're kind of fun though, as long as you're not sent like 200 of them. :)

    Kristen

     
  • At 4:05 PM, Anonymous lisa--in a nutshell said…

    These are the absolute best! I had them on my blog a while back (my picture's not nearly as good as yours) and declared them the best ever. That Giada...she does produce some good recipes...Did everyone like them?

     
  • At 10:48 AM, Blogger BNA said…

    Hey Lisa! You know, I was thinking that I had seen these on someone's blog, but I couldn't remember whose it was. I'm sure it was your post! Thanks for the inspiration (even though I couldn't articulate it).

    Everyone loved them -- scarfed down within twenty minutes.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home