Peanut Butter and Purple Onions

Sounds crazy until you try it.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

In Which I Confront the Steamer

Howdy! So the bachelorette party was wonderful fun, as evidenced by how long it's taken me to get back to PBPO. Here was my contribution to the weekend (along with my co-conspirator, JWA):



Giada's Butternut Squash Lasagna -- vegetarian, decadent, and excellent for soaking up copious quantities of red wine. I added extra cheese and torn basil to the top, but other than that, her recipe was fantastic as-is. This was VERY enthusiastically received.

But being gone all weekend meant that a plethora of veggies and herbs were abandoned in the refrigerator. And they were looking a bit stricken yesterday, so I took most of them -- extra butternut squash, green beans, cilantro, ginger, onions, garlic, most of a carton of mushrooms, half a can of whole tomatoes -- and added them to a pot of red lentils along with cayenne, turmeric, cumin, and lots of vegetable stock. Instant lunches for, oh, about the next year and a half (I'm incapable of not making the entire bag of lentils). And vegan, as it happens.

But the whole head of cauliflower lurking in the left vegetable drawer wasn't invited to the party. Not that I don't like cauliflower; I do. But I don't much like adding it raw to the ad hoc soup -- it cooks unevenly in the broth and, seriously, a mouthful of raw cauliflower? EW.

I knew I had to cook the darn thing tonight...and that meant I had to get out the steamer.

My fear of the steamer may seem irrational to you, but that's because you haven't met the thing. It's cranky. It slides, it slips, it explodes up out of the pot, it collapses down into the water. I should buy a new one, obviously. But I'm a little afraid to get rid of it -- what if it vows revenge? And if any cooking implement were to plot vengeance, believe me, it'd be this cranky critter.

But anyway. I needed my broiler for the pseudo-tandoori chicken, thus: steamer for cauliflower.

I'm glad to report that only one finger was scalded in the steaming of this cauliflower. That's actually a damn fine statistic.

Cauliflower with Tomato-Curry Sauce
Adapted from the Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook


Serves 4.

1 tsp. olive oil
1 med. yellow onion, finely chopped
2 tsp. grated peeled ginger
2 tsp. hot curry powder (I like Penzey's if there's no time to make my own)
0.5 tsp. ground cumin
1 c. canned tomato puree
1 lb. cauliflower florets, steamed

Heat the oil in a large skillet. Saute the onion and ginger until the onion turns translucent, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the spices over the mixture and mix over the heat for another minute or so.

Stir in the tomato puree and 0.5 c. water. Turn the heat down to a simmer and cover the pan; let it bubble away for fifteen minutes or so to thicken.

When it's done, pour the sauce over the steamed cauliflower in a serving bowl.

Notes:
* The recipe calls for pureeing the sauce, but I don't see the point; just mince the onion finely.
* One point per serving. Nice!

3 Comments:

  • At 3:00 PM, Blogger Kristen said…

    I've been wanting to try that Giada recipe!!! I'm so glad you tested it out with success ... now I'm definitely going to make it. Thanks!!!

     
  • At 3:10 PM, Blogger BNA said…

    You'll love it, Kristen -- next time I think I'll add more basil to the sauce, since I'm a basil addict.

     
  • At 5:56 PM, Anonymous Rorie said…

    I love this lasagne. I've made it the past two Thanksgivings and also for a dinner party. It is sooooooo good! Great post!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home