Peanut Butter and Purple Onions

Sounds crazy until you try it.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Eat Your Greens

This is a simple, soothing pasta dish for when you have some greens in your refrigerator that are starting to give you that "dude, what's the problem?" look. Makes for a good lunch at work, too -- although I find it benefits from a vigorous shake of cayenne when it's on its second incarnation.

I used to throw together a version of this with just greens, pasta, and parmesan, for which you hardly need a recipe. You don't really need a recipe for this version either, but the sauteed onion and garlic gives it more backbone.



Peasant Pasta
Adapted from the Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook


Serves 4.

4 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 med. yellow onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
0.5 c. chicken or vegetable broth
10 oz. spinach, coarsely chopped
2 c. coarsely chopped Swiss chard
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 c. uncooked pasta of your favorite roundish, bite-sized shape
0.5 tsp. fresh lemon juice, optional
crushed red pepper, optional

Heat the oil in a skillet, then saute the onions and garlic until soft and golden brown. Add the broth and cook until it's mostly evaporated, about a minute or so.

Meanwhile, steam the spinach and chard together until tender, about six minutes. Remove from the steamer and squeeze out any excess water.

Meanwhile x2, cook the pasta you're using in plenty of boiling salted water. Drain when it's a skosh shy of al dente.

Stir the greens into the onion mixture and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Heat, stirring frequently, for another minute or so.

Add the pasta to the skillet with the onions and greens and toss to mix. Serve, sprinkling with a little lemon juice and/or red pepper.

Notes:
* 5 Weight Watchers Points per serving.

7 Comments:

  • At 9:12 PM, Blogger Courtney said…

    Hey ladies! You've been serving up some tantalizing things...

    Not sure if you've been contacted yet, but we at the NC have quoted and linked to you in our Random spice-Punx sideblog.

    We'll be back.

     
  • At 10:56 PM, Blogger Kalyn said…

    Hey, I just tagged you for a meme. I hope you think it's fun.

     
  • At 10:30 AM, Blogger cucina testa rossa said…

    wow, this looks delicious! perfect for a cold winter dinner!

     
  • At 1:14 PM, Blogger BNA said…

    hey Courtney! I'm deeply honored. In celebration I'm emptying the entire rest of my cayenne jar into my tomato soup for lunch today!

    thanks Kalyn! I love memes, and this one looks like great fun.

    hello Laura! yes, it's great for chilly weather...now if only it would actually get cold here. I feel like I'm still living in San Francisco with all this fog!

     
  • At 10:07 PM, Blogger Michele said…

    Mmmm!! I have that cookbook and don't recall this recipe, I will have to look it up.

     
  • At 10:43 PM, Anonymous lisa--in a nutshell said…

    BNA--that sounds good, and I do need to add more greens to my diet...

     
  • At 9:03 PM, Blogger BNA said…

    heya Michele -- for some reason it's in the back of the book in the "New American Cooking" section. I have the 1998 edition.

    hi Lisa -- next time I'll definitely add more greens to this. it could easily take more without becoming overwhelming.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home