Peanut Butter and Purple Onions

Sounds crazy until you try it.

Monday, January 23, 2006

A Bit Delicate

...which is how I was feeling Sunday morning.

Since I'm trying to lose some excess BNA-age before my friend's wedding in March, I haven't been drinking much lately. I had been in the comfortable habit of 3-4 glasses of red wine a week, and I look forward to returning to that civilized pattern, but for now, those are calories that are relatively easy to cut. Particularly since Dimples doesn't drink at home. (He does eat pizza at home -- frequently -- and so that has been significantly harder to whittle away.)

So when I indulged in three glasses of wine Saturday night at a birthday party, I fully expected to well within my range. But I guess I've lost more capacity than I would have predicted, because Sunday morning brought that edgy, irritable, vaguely queasy feeling. Not a bad hangover, but not a good one either.

And really, because of three glasses of wine? How embarrassing.

So I made this broth, which is both soothing in the preparation (the rhythmic peeling of garlic) and the consumption (the rhythmic slurping of garlic). As I've said before, I'm a big fan of the "whatever works" school of thought. Scientifically speaking, hangover cures may not be worth much, but this one works for me.

Plus, it's got so much garlic in it that you need never fear vampires again.

Herb and Garlic Broth
Adapted from Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone


2 heads fresh garlic
1 T. olive oil
1 T. tomato paste
2 bay leaves
10 white peppercorns
2 whole cloves
6 large sage leaves
6 thyme sprigs
10 Italian parsley sprigs
2 tsp. salt

Separate all the garlic cloves and smash and peel them.

In a large pot with a lid, heat the oil on medium heat. Add the tomato paste and cook for a minute, then add the garlic, herbs, and salt, plus 2 quarts water. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, partially covered, 45 minutes. Strain.

Drink out of a big mug while wearing slippers.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:47 PM, Blogger darlamay said…

    If only I had had this recipe on Saturday! My husband went out with the boys for the first time in a long time Friday night. He came home giggly and smashed after three, THREE long island ice teas. He was embarrassed he's become such a light weight. I was too busy laughing.

     
  • At 9:00 AM, Blogger BNA said…

    ah, good to know I'm not the only one! next time you'll have this in your arsenal.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home