Peanut Butter and Purple Onions

Sounds crazy until you try it.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

10 Things You Didn't Know About Me (and maybe didn't want to)

I do love a good meme, food-related or otherwise, and Kristen tagged me for another of the list-ish ones that have been tumbling around lately. Now something you might already know about me is that I really really like lists -- so, wooo!

Lessee. I have a crush on Mario Batali...oh wait. I've already confessed to that one.

10. My mom, Devorit, and I all have an identical mole on our right shoulder.



9. I can recite (usually at break-neck speed) the monarchs of England from William the Conqueror through James II (but I really don't care about the ones who came after Richard III. GO YORK!).

8. When I was a kid, I was infamous for drinking sideways. I mean, I wasn't sideways, but I'd hold the glass or can or whatnot off to the side of my mouth and tilt it at alarming angles while drinking in dribbles. The reason? So that the glass wouldn't block my view of whatever book I was reading. Yeah.



7. My absolute favorite sandwich in kindergarten was pickle, cheese, and ketchup. And can you imagine, no one wanted to trade with me. (I originally lobbied for pickle and ketchup sandwiches; Mom insisted on the cheese for protein purposes.)

6. I have kind of a spooky aural memory. For example, Dad has a four-hour long album set of Nicol Williamson reading The Hobbit -- which I recommend above all things if you can find it. The soundtrack of my childhood. I can queue up my memory and play the whole thing in my head at will. Which comes in handy on boring plane rides.



5. I developed an allergy to shellfish on my 21st birthday, and I've been brokenhearted ever since. Why are we never allergic to things we hate?

4. I got kicked out of ballet class when I was five for talking too much. Also, we had to wear pink tights and I would only wear red ones. Now I have a plaid overcoat that is so over-the-top pink that Dimples would prefer I not wear it when we're going to be in public together.



3. I loathe mayonnaise.

2. I won an honorable mention in a "patriotic slogan" contest in high school sponsored by Knott's Berry Farm and Carl's Jr. I had to, er, got to have my picture taken with Carl Karcher. And now I can't remember what that slogan was, except that it was quite tongue-in-cheek.



1. I'm a video game addict. I saved my allowance for months to buy an original Nintendo so I could master Super Mario Bros. and the Legend of Zelda. Oblivion comes out for Xbox 360 in February and I am CHOMPING AT THE BIT, people.

Anyone who wants to bare their secrets -- now's your chance! Consider yourself tagged.

Thanks to Wikipedia for the pictures.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:08 PM, Blogger PatL said…

    Hey, thanks for the tag! :o) I think I'll take you up on it ... next week when time permits.

    And also thanks for the tip about Wikipedia for pics! I've used it for info before but never thought to nab their pics, too. Loved the shrimp & pickle ones especially. Were the sandwiches dill or sweet pickles? I can see that combo with sweet, totally.

    I used to hate mayo, too, except in tuna salad or egg salad. This last summer though, we grew tomatoes and had the most awesome BLTs with mayo on whole wheat. I'm sold.

    Love the reading & drinking story. Makes perfect sense to me!

    And I am dying for you about the shellfish. That's such a bummer! And a little scary, too,to think it could happen to any of us. (Especially, ahem, to moi!)

    That was really fun to read, pbapo. Thanks!!

     
  • At 10:47 AM, Blogger BNA said…

    Thanks for the kind review, Patl! I hope you do take me up on the tag -- it's a fun way to muse about yourself.

    The sandwiches were dill pickles -- I like sweet pickles now, but as a kind, they were anathema.

    Shrimp, crab, and lobster were probably three of my top ten favorite foods before the allergy struck...very upsetting. It's not a bad allergy, thank goodness, but I'm told it can escalate without warning...gee. Oh well.

    Have a good weekend!

     
  • At 2:04 PM, Anonymous Tania said…

    Hey! My mum and I have an identical birthmark (shaped a bit like New Zealand) in the exact same place above our left knees!

    Thanks for sharing your secrets with us. The Mario Batali crush is particularly cute.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home