Peanut Butter and Purple Onions

Sounds crazy until you try it.

Monday, December 12, 2005

You Are What You Eat...

...heaven help me!

Thanks to the always marvelous Darla at Messy Cocina for tagging me with this meme, which asks you to list your ten favorite foods. As everyone's remarked with this task, it's pretty much impossible, but here's my version of the ol' college try. I want you to know that numerous pens were sacrificed in the making of this list (between the gnawing, the throwing in frustration, and the kitten-chasing).

I abandoned the idea of including actual dishes, in the interest of salvaging 2006 for other projects. And for sure I gave myself a break by eliminating beverages as contenders. (Don't hate me, teapot. We'll cuddle later.) So with those caveats, here's my much-edited list...



1. Berries. Forever my favorite fruits -- be they straw, blue, rasp, black, boysen, marion, logan, or goose. Without having the slightest idea whether I'm entitled to do so (in the biological sense), I include currants, black and red. And thimbleberries! I haven't had a thimbleberry since I was eight and on a hike through the California redwoods, but I've been yearning for that spicy sweet flavor ever since. (This is a picture of that elusive darling.) I eat blueberries every morning with...



2. Greek Yogurt. The thick and creamy texture leaves all theoretical competitors twenty-six miles behind. (Sure, I can deliver lame jokes with a straight face.) Drizzle honey or ginger syrup and chopped walnuts over a bowlful, and you have instant dessert!



3. Warm Spices. I'm kind of cheating here, I know (but wait, I'll get worse). I'm thinking here of ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, nutmeg, mace, allspice...those sometimes sweet, sometimes savory spices that liven up everything from cookies to carrots to casseroles. With alliterative abandon.



4. Parmigiano-Reggiano. The emperor of cheeses, no question. It demands your complete attention. To guarantee my utter silence -- should I be prattling on, which has been known to happen -- shut me up with a hunk of this cheese, a glass of wine, a drizzle of good balsalmic vinegar, and one or two paper-thin slices of...



5. Prosciutto di Parma. I periodically go vegetarian, and so far, what always brings me back to the dark side is this salty-sweet, tongue-curlingly delicious dry-cured Italian ham. I love it plain, always and often, and I can't really think of things that aren't improved by being wrapped in it.



6. Peanut Butter. You had to know this would put in an appearance! And yes, it really is fantastic on toasted bread with so-thin-they're-translucent purple onions.



7. Stuff Made from Cooked Tomatoes. Ok, this is weird, I know, but I didn't know how else to convey how much I adore tomato-based sauces and similar things. Spiked with oregano and garlic -- pizza sauce. Slow-braised with fennel and onion -- pasta sauce. Pureed with roasted chiles -- hot sauce. My requirement, though, is that the tomatoes have to be cooked. I may have given bottles of Heinz to Hunts-challenged friends as a kid (...what?), but you will never see me eating a raw tomato. (I couldn't find a good cooked tomato picture, alas.)



8. Basil. I'm starting to see an Italian theme that I hadn't really realized was there. Hmmm. Anyway, basil is my favorite herb -- bright, cheerful, the green essence of summer. I am cursed with the inability to grow it, though. Damn.



9. Oysters. I only just discovered that I love oysters about eight months ago, when I was my friend's "date" at a wedding caterer event. He got a kick out of introducing me to his wedding planner as his girlfriend; I was too busy slurping down sweet briny oysters to mind.



10. Chiles. There is no life without chiles. I have no more to say.

You knew that was an exaggeration, didn't you? I always have more to say. Let's see...I'm going to tag Julie at A Finger in Every Pie and Dawn at SoCal Foodie. Have fun!

And thanks to Wikipedia and Fage for the pictures, which I certainly do not claim as my own.

6 Comments:

  • At 1:44 PM, Blogger darlamay said…

    Yum! I love PB and greek yogurt, and everything else on your list! You are such a clever writer. I like how you stated prosciutto always lures you away from vegetarianism. Glad you enjoyed it!

     
  • At 9:58 AM, Blogger BNA said…

    Thanks again for the tag! it was interesting comparing my original stream-of-consciousness list of contenders with the finalists. I had some very strange things on that list, I must say.

     
  • At 2:13 PM, Blogger Dawn said…

    Just wait...I think my post will be a lot worse than yours (for encompassing many items under one category)! I'll get it up soon. If you haven't checked out Ilva's response to this meme, you should. She's over at www.lucullian.blogspot.com and she posted hers about 4-5 days ago. I got tagged by both of you, so thanks!!

     
  • At 2:45 PM, Blogger BNA said…

    Hi Dawn! You're right, Ilva's response is wonderful. And even I will admit that was a truly stunning tomato photograph.

    Good luck with the categorizing!

     
  • At 1:40 AM, Anonymous LisaSD said…

    You should check out Rorie's site (milk & honey)--she also included greek yogurt!

    Cooked tomatoes, but not raw? Wonder what THAT'S about? LOL

     
  • At 9:43 AM, Blogger BNA said…

    I know, it's confusing to many people. I just don't like the texture (goopy! gloppy!) of raw tomatoes, and the taste is also too sharp and strong for me. But cook them with spices of some kind, and hey, a miracle occurs.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home