Peanut Butter and Purple Onions

Sounds crazy until you try it.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Not a White Christmas, But...

...it'll still be good to be back in California. We're leaving Friday for my parents' house -- apparently it's seventy degrees there today. Quite a difference from twenty degrees here, but I will say this -- the prospect of shorts-weather for Christmas seems a little strange this year. Maybe I'm a real New Yorker now.

Anyway, I'm not cooking this week because we have no groceries and don't want to go to the store before we leave. So we're indulging in the glories of takeout! But Devorit and I have some seriously good menus planned, so I'll keep you updated on those as we concoct them. The goal for the holiday is to prevent Mom from cooking so much as a side dish. We may have to tie her to a chair to accomplish this, but I'm not afraid to get stern when necessary.

So many things I'm looking forward to in California -- family and friends, of course, but also salt breezes, Trader Joe's (I'm bringing a separate suitcase for TJ goodies. I'm totally not kidding), Baja Fresh, and...ok, I'm just going to come out and say it. I am and have always been completely in love with Del Taco. When I was little, Mom, Devorit, and I would order breakfast burritos at dawn and eat them on the beach. When I moved to San Francisco from LA, I moped for YEARS until they opened a Del Taco on Market Street. And then I moved across the country!! So yes, we're making lamb chops and timbale and tortilla soup and hordes of other wonderful things, and I will eat myself silly...but you'll still see me at Del Taco at least twice. Some traditions you just don't mess with.

Happy holidays, one and all!

7 Comments:

  • At 8:56 PM, Blogger Kalyn said…

    They just got a new Del Taco in the town where I teach. Maybe I will have to give it a try. I admit, I was a big Taco Bell fan in college.

     
  • At 1:02 AM, Blogger darlamay said…

    Well you have fun in your flip flop weather in the land of Trader Joe . . . I have a death wish and am spending the weekend in Chicago.

    Merry Christmas!

     
  • At 10:01 AM, Blogger BNA said…

    You know, Kalyn, I have converted many former Taco Bell fans into Del Taco faithful. The Bell is satisfactory...but DT is a whole other level. (Actually, in large part my devotion is due to the hot sauce, which is a little too salty for me at TB, but just right at DT).

    Merry Christmas to you too, Darla...good luck surviving the lake effect!

     
  • At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Rorie said…

    I'm wearing flip-flops in 75 degree weather here in San Diego writing to wish you a Merry California Xmas! Now, I really need a taco! Great post!

     
  • At 4:15 PM, Blogger BNA said…

    Merry California Christmas, Rorie! Eat a fish taco for me...San Diego's are the best, hands down!

     
  • At 4:27 PM, Blogger Kalyn said…

    You are not going to regret buying the Bittman book. It's incredible.

     
  • At 11:56 PM, Blogger e! said…

    How I miss Del Taco. And how I dream of In 'N' Out.

    Anyone wanna adopt me so I can get a Green Card? ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home