Peanut Butter and Purple Onions

Sounds crazy until you try it.

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Holiday Cookie Exchange #1 -- Part 3

Third installment, but the first for me. Dawn at So Cal Foodie is hosting, and her suggestion is for something simple. Excellent notion. I don't have a famous four-ingredient cookie like she suggests, but I do have these tasty morsels, and they're pretty straightforward. And they're even seasonal, although I'll be forthright and tell you that I make them all year long. (I also listen to the Nutcracker all year long, and I am unrepentant.)



It's no secret that I love ginger, and these cookies pack a spicy punch. They're also soft and toothsome, which is refreshing after all those crunchy gingersnaps. For an over the top touch, serve them with dishes of lemon curd for dipping.

Ginger Cookies

Makes 3 dozen.

4 c. flour (preferably King Arthur)
1 c. granulated sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
2 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. shortening (non-trans fat, if possible)
1 c. molasses
1 egg, beaten lightly
1/2 c. boiling water
extra sugar

Combine flour, sugar, soda, spices, and salt in a large bowl. In another bowl, mix together the shortening, molasses, and egg. Beat the wet ingredients into the dry, then add the boiling water. The dough will be so soft and sticky it will practically slump in the bowl. So, cover the bowl and pop it into the fridge for at least an hour.

Heat the oven to 400 and pour some extra granulated sugar into a small bowl. Roll the chilled dough into balls, about an inch across. Roll the balls in the extra sugar and arrange them 2" apart on ungreased baking sheets. (Be sure they're light baking sheets -- dark ones will cook the bottoms of these cookies too quickly.) Shove the bowl back into the fridge if the dough becomes mutinously soft while you're working. Bake about 12 minutes or until the cookies puff slightly and crack charmingly across the top. (The centers will still be soft. This is a good thing.) Transfer to racks and cool.

9 Comments:

  • At 7:30 PM, Blogger Dawn said…

    Ok, you won the prize for getting there first!! I'll get the post up tomorrow...you're going to be on the top of the list! These sound good. I definitely like a soft cookie vs. a crunchy one.

     
  • At 1:38 AM, Anonymous LisaSD said…

    Yes--lemon curd would be perfect with these! While you're in SoCal for the holidays, pick up a package of TJ's ginger sandwich cookies with lemon creme...I bet yours are better, though!

     
  • At 9:25 AM, Blogger BNA said…

    Yay, a prize! Thanks, Dawn!

    You bet, Lisa -- I've had those and they are really tasty. I also like the cocoa-dusted chocolate-covered almonds...seriously addictive.

     
  • At 6:45 PM, Anonymous Paige said…

    I love the idea of soft gigner cookies. Your recipe sounds delicious. Have you tried them with lime curd? P.S. Your blog name is great. Everything tastes good with peanut butter!

     
  • At 10:15 AM, Blogger BNA said…

    Hi Paige! I have not tried them with lime curd, but you intrigue me. I feel like I've seen a recipe for that somewhere...maybe in one of Nigella's books?

    And you're absolutely right -- peanut butter is the best accompaniment of all time.

     
  • At 12:01 PM, Blogger tina said…

    Mmmm, I am longing to make a chewy ginger cookie. Gonna try these today....it IS a shame about Turkish Delight.

     
  • At 10:34 AM, Blogger BNA said…

    Welcome Tina! Let me know how they turn out.

     
  • At 3:58 PM, Anonymous Paige said…

    Ina Garten has the same lime curd recipe in two of her books: Barefoot Contessa Parties, p. 203, and Barefoot Contessa Cookbook, p. 187. I've only made it once so far, but it was delicious.

     
  • At 4:29 PM, Blogger BNA said…

    Aha! The Barefoot Contessa strikes again. I'll be sure to track it down.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home